Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1523 »
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:34 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
Beautiful!

Some officers of Musashi at the time of her loss:

Commanding Officer: RADM Inoguchi Toshihira (KIA; posthumous VADM)
Executive Officer: Capt. Kato Kenkichi (senior survivor)
Chief Gunnery Officer: Capt. Koshino Kimitake (survived sinking, but refused rescue and swam away into the darkness; posthumous RADM)
Chief Navigator: Capt. Kariya Minoru (KIA; posthumous RADM)
Chief Communications Officer: Cdr. Miura Tokujiro (posthumous Capt.)
A number of the survivors were either killed later in the battle as their rescue ships were to sunk or stationed at Corregidor and were killed in its liberation. Interestingly enough, rumors are floating around that the Philippine government is considering raising the wreckage and using it as a tourist attraction, that is if it is where it is reported it is.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 10th, 2013, 8:53 pm
:roll: It's been rumored for years, but it will never happen. Musashi sank in about 4,400 feet of water, and to even begin to PLAN a salvage operation, you have to find the wreck, see what condition she's in, and how she's lying on the bottom. To my knowledge she hasn't even been found yet. And here's another thought to ponder: why in the world would the Filipinos want to raise the wreck of a JAPANESE battleship, restore her completely (neither of which tasks are small feats in themselves, by the way), and anchor her in the Philippines as a tourist attraction? Their country suffered unimaginably during the Japanese occupation, so why would they want to remember it?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 10th, 2013, 9:00 pm
Exactly. restoring her would be 100% out of the question given the condition she is likely in now. I would however be nice if an expedition was made to find and research the wreck.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 10th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Erusia Force wrote:
A number of the survivors were either killed later in the battle as their rescue ships were to sunk or stationed at Corregidor and were killed in its liberation. Interestingly enough, rumors are floating around that the Philippine government is considering raising the wreckage and using it as a tourist attraction, that is if it is where it is reported it is.
And the Japanese would allow them to raise a war grave why exactly?

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 11th, 2013, 5:35 am
A very fine question you pose, but it is just a rumor. If they do find the wreck, I would expect that it may be in no better shape than Yamato, considering the structural damage that would have ensued after leaving the surface with 19 torpedo holes in the hull, then slamming with its weight likely off balance to whatever the terrain the sea floor is like, not to mention if it went down in a rightened fall or went inverted while going down bow first. It is likely that there will be fractures in the hull, if not bent out of proportion. Some crews reported a growing fracture at the base of her superstructure at the time the order to abandon ship was given.

I will post Yamato as soon as possible, this is where things start to get familiar, and where the difference in modification between Yamato and Musashi becomes more apparent.

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 25th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Yamato under went an extensive refit and rebuild in early 1944, fist off to repair torpedo damage received from the USS Skate and received an extension of her armor plate below the waterline for added protection against flooding. Yamato then was redocked after a week and refitted like Musashi, though more completely. Her wing mount 155mm mounts and 7/8 searchlights were set ashore and she was fitted with positions for additional 6 127mm AAA and two HA directors set in the position of the Searchlights. Her shielded mounts were moved to the lower level with open mounts on the higher mounts (it was planned to have all enclosed mounts, but there was a shortage of shields for the guns.) her border mounted 25mm triple mounts received shields and the bridge guns opened. Unlike Musashi, the Yamato had extensive redesigning of her superstructure and mainmast ( extended flag station, reinforcement placed on mainmast) along with a complete redo of her rigging. Yamato was undocked in March of 1944 and later participated in the battle of the Mariana Islands. She is here depicted in July 1944 with added open 25mm triple and single mounts following a refit in late June. Along with Type 13 radar, Yamato was fitted with an experimental type 22 radar featuring a double sized cone, later removed in 1945.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 25th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Also, I have found from new sources that many of the outline drawings of Yamato in 1944 and 1945 are incorrect per new finds in Japan and further surveys of the wreck. This makes me happy, because all of my Tamiya Yamatos' are now obsolete :cry: .

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 25th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Great work, my friend...these are truly works of art!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 25th, 2013, 9:14 pm
Beautiful! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 25th, 2013, 11:26 pm
outstanding work, i can't wait to see the Ten-Go Yamato

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1523 »

Jump to: