Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 17  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1417 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 6th, 2014, 4:13 pm
Yes, I don't disagree with you. The best approach is to use official plans for the baseline, and then to correct it from photos (the only true source of real, hard evidence - I believe this more than you think...) Unfortunately good photos of the Alaska class are hard to come by so often times you end up having to use plans and documentation vs. photos to confirm various things. You may not believe this (since you never seem to respond to any questions/comments...) but I work PRIMARILY from photos! Yard plans provide the scaling/proportions, but every detail is checked as much as possible against the photos of the ships I have...

BTW: if you constantly worry about "Shipbucket decline", why are you still here? I mean I agree with you that real designs are the point and purpose of this site (I have said this many times), but saying that the website is "declining" is a bit ridiculous...
Quote:
This is your job :mrgreen:
I've spent over a year doing so - I don't think these drawings can be improved any more, other than plan/front/stern views which I want to begin working on ASAP.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 6th, 2014, 6:58 pm
Bah

Colo,
A life with colour this is always better (beautifull)
[ img ]
;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 6th, 2014, 7:35 pm
That's excellent!

I wish there were more color photos of these ships. I'm sure they exist... but who knows where. I have half a mind to go to the national archives and start digging myself...

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 6th, 2014, 7:56 pm
Colosseum wrote:
That's excellent!

I wish there were more color photos of these ships. I'm sure they exist... but who knows where. I have half a mind to go to the national archives and start digging myself...
Seeing as how it's actually mentioned in the picture itself that it's a digitally colorized picture I'm not sure how relevant it is. I mean, it looks nice, but you can't take the color information for granted...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 9th, 2014, 2:36 am
Yes, absolutely... just nice to see a colorized photo of the ships. I know there are one or two color photos of Alaska during the shakedown cruise, but I can't think of any of Guam.

Anyway, updating/revising the Guam and will post the drawings later.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 9th, 2014, 4:46 am
The series has once again been updated...

New hull numbers (after discovering that all USN hull numbers were a mandatory 24" high during the war) for CB-1 and CB-2. CB-2 has been fully updated and its 1944 camouflage revised to reflect the photo where possible. It seems CB-2 was never fitted with the TDYa S-band jamming system so the 1945 drawing reflects this.

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]

Anyway, until plan views are done, I think this is as "revised" as these drawings can get. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 9th, 2014, 4:52 am
Incredible!

*Begs* Please, please, PLEEEEAAASE draw the SoDaks! Only you could attain this level of awesomeness with them! Help us Colosseum...you're our only hope!

(Sorry if I went over-the-top there, but I thought lavishing a huge amount of praise would finally convince you to give them a shot. Did it by any chance work? :) )

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 9th, 2014, 5:34 am
I still need to finish the rest of the Washington iterations before I can move onto something else. I've never really been interested in the BB-57s (in all honesty). Midnightnova has already drawn the Massachusetts. I would look to him to refine it or draw the rest of the class first.

At some point I'd like to draw the rest of the Fletcher variants as well as the Sumner/Gearings (along with their variants, especially the late-war DDR radar pickets), and I've ordered plans for the USS Enterprise... so we'll see what happens. ;) I really want to do some plan views of various ships but again, this is all dependent on free time which is, of course, limited...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 9th, 2014, 6:25 am
Isn't doing the same thing over and over again, insanity? ;) Still, fine work again Collo

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Alaska class cruisers reworkPosted: July 9th, 2014, 6:40 am
Excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 17  [ 161 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1417 »

Jump to: