Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 7:28 pm
Are the secondary directors pointed correctly in the overview? I don't totally understand their shape, but right now it looks sort of like the viewports are facing the opposite direction from the rangefinder.

A very nice drawing!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 7:33 pm
Thank you David.You're welcome. I looked a second time (figuratively...I've pretty much stared at the photos!) and then it dawned on me what I DID forget to tell you: The BRIDGE! It's plainly (hate to phrase it so!) wrong!

First of all, I wasn't happy about Karle's solution of the windows: like most treaty cruisers (USN, IJN, RN) the window rows consisted of loose, removable panes, attached by a thin metal strip buffered by strips of black rubber. So, in our scale the the divider between the windows would be represented by a single dark grey line (dark grey since the black was very seldom black, with the rubber quality in the 1920s and 30s!) Also, the windows are continued into the chart house extending aft towards, and encompassing the CT on the navigation bridge level.

And, the angles of the forward superstructure face does not agree with what you and Karle have drawn! Please revist that area if you care!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 7:38 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Thank you David.You're welcome. I looked a second time (figuratively...I've pretty much stared at the photos!) and then it dawned on me what I DID forget to tell you: The BRIDGE! It's plainly (hate to phrase it so!) wrong!

First of all, I wasn't happy about Karle's solution of the windows: like most treaty cruisers (USN, IJN, RN) the window rows consisted of loose, removable panes, attached by a thin metal strip buffered by strips of black rubber. So, in our scale the the divider between the windows would be represented by a single dark grey line (dark grey since the black was very seldom black, with the rubber quality in the 1920s and 30s!) Also, the windows are continued into the chart house extending aft towards, and encompassing the CT on the navigation bridge level.

And, the angles of the forward superstructure face does not agree with what you and Karle have drawn! Please revist that area if you care!
Will do; I agree,so the photos show. I've fixed most of your first round and will e-mail the results to you before I post.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 7:45 pm
erik_t wrote:
Are the secondary directors pointed correctly in the overview? I don't totally understand their shape, but right now it looks sort of like the viewports are facing the opposite direction from the rangefinder.

A very nice drawing!
Here are the various views of the director.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 7:46 pm
Thank you David, very considerate of you!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 8:22 pm
Very nice !

I cant comment about details but have to ask why does the 42 ships still have an aircraft if its lost the cats ?

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 8:29 pm
JSB wrote:
Very nice !

I cant comment about details but have to ask why does the 42 ships still have an aircraft if its lost the cats ?
Well my friend that is quite simple . . . I FORGOT to remove them. I'm working on Bezo/Ari's comments and have removed them :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 9:14 pm
David, I checked my sources and there's nowhere mentioned or shown that Algerielost her catapult. Having known this already, may have made me overlook the absence of one in your 1942 version. Do you have reliable sourcesfor that?

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 9:35 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
David, I checked my sources and there's nowhere mentioned or shown that Algerielost her catapult. Having known this already, may have made me overlook the absence of one in your 1942 version. Do you have reliable sourcesfor that?
No I do not all I have are the highly suspect websites: navypedia.org & ww2db.com so I drew Algerie without catapult to elicit reactions and further insight since I was unable to find any portside photos of Algerie after her final refit. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 10:00 pm
Well, I've read and re-read the chapter about her modifications, having tried to find pictures too, without it etc, and it's plainly clear that she did retain it till the very end! However, please take a look in your inbox. I sent you a small gift!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: