Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 13th, 2016, 4:50 pm
If Wikpedia is accurate (we can always hope), this is the status of the class:

Sovremennyy (431) – Современный – Modern (1980),
decommissioned in 1998, scrapped in 2003
Otchayannyy – Отчаянный – Reckless (1982),
decommissioned in 1998
Otlichnyy – Отличный – Excellent (1983),
decommissioned in 1998
Osmotritelnyy – Осмотрительный – Circumspect (1984),
decommissioned in 1997
Bezuprechnyy (430) – Безупречный – Impeccable (1985),
decommissioned in 2003
Boyevoy – Боевой – Militant (1986) –
Out of active service. Modernization and overhaul
Stoykiy (645) – Стойкий – Steadfast (1986),
decommissioned in 1998
Okrylennyy – Окрылённый – Winged (1987),
decommissioned in 1998, scrapped in 1999
Burnyy – Бурный – Impetuous (1988)
Out of active service. Ongoing modernization and overhaul
Bystryy (715) – Быстрый -Quick (or Rapid) (30 September 1989) –
In service, Pacific Fleet
Rastoropnyy (420) – Расторопный -Prompt (1989) –
Decommissioned in 2012. Laid up at Kotlin Island, St. Petersburg. Possibility of modernization and return to active service
Bezboyaznennyy – Безбоязненный -Intrepid (or Fearless) (1990) –
Out of active service. Modernization and overhaul
Gremyashchiy (406) – Гремящий – Thunderous (originally Bezuderzhnyy – Безудержный – Impetuous or Unrestrained) (25 June 1991) –
In service, Northern Fleet
Veduschiy – Ведущий – Leading (1988) –
Decommissioned in 2006. Possibility of modernization and return to active service
Bespokoynyy (620) – Беспокойный – Restless (28 December 1991)
In service, Baltic Fleet
Nastoychivyy (610) – Настойчивый – Persistent (originally Moskovskiy Komsomolets – Московский комсомолец) (30 December 1992)
In service, Baltic Fleet
Admiral Ushakov (434) – Адмирал Ушаков – (originally Besstrashnyy – Бесстрашный – Fearless) (30 December 1993)
In service, Northern Fleet

[Profile] [Quote]
wb21
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 14th, 2016, 5:39 am
Excellent effort on this destroyer class. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 18th, 2016, 12:33 am
Thanks everyone, once again, for the positive feedback!
Also for the ships list, though I'm certainly not going to draw every single one of them! :D

At long last, after a single teaser last week, I present you the complete Chinese Sovremenniy fleet:
1) N° 136 Hangzhou has been discussed and shown last time, is now back in a cleaned-up version. This is the former Soviet Vazhniy, left on the stocks after the collapse of the Soviet Union and completed for the Chinese PLAN in the late 90s
2) N° 137 Fuzhou is her sister-ship, former Soviet Vdumchiviy, completing the pair of mostly unmodified Pr.956 destroyers sold to China in the 90s. Shown here with a few minor electronics upgrades in the early 2010s
3) N° 138 Taizhou is the lead ship of a second, separate 2-ship class, designated Project 956EM by the Russians. Following the entry in service of the two Pr.956E ships, the Chinese sailors were enthused enough to order a second pair based on Project 956, but requested some modifications. Most visible are the removal of the aft AK-130 gun turret, in place of which the aft Uragan SAM launcher and the helipad have been moved back, while the helo hangar has been lengthened and fixed (the original was a telescopic hangar). Visible between helipad and hangar are two Kashtan combined CIWS, as a replacement for the two AK-630 pairs. They are controlled by the new 3R86E1 "Cross Dome" 3D radar visible atop the hangar door. Less visible are the improvements to the missile systems, with the Uragan launchers firing the second-generation 9M317 Shtil-1 missile, and the specially developed 3M80MVE long-range missiles in the Moskit launch bins.
4) N° 139 Ningbo is the second half of the second pair and the last Chinese Sovremenniy to enter service in 2006. This ship shows signs of a more thought-out and polished construction, typical of a last of class.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

As of April 2016, some sources have reported that the first pair (136 and 137) are moored in a local shipyard and might be undergoing a major upgrade of their sensors and weapons systems, with YJ-12 and HQ-16 mentioned as replacement for the Moskit and Shtil systems respectively. I will make sure to keep you posted as soon as things develop on that front.

Edit: updated the last pair to move the presentation missile for the aft Shtil to the new position of the launcher.
Re-edited for minor typos

Last edited by citizen lambda on July 9th, 2016, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 18th, 2016, 9:17 am
Very nice additions, looking good!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 19th, 2016, 10:43 pm
Excellent drawings!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 20th, 2016, 6:51 am
good work with these ones too!

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 25th, 2016, 10:46 pm
And for the last part of the series, we veer sharply into never-built territory, for the post-1990 variants with modernized weapons and sensors. The versions shown below are transition models under Project 956U, moving incrementally towards a further Project 956.2 that was never defined in much detail, or a further enhanced new destroyer that would have included much new technology, such as universal VLS for offensive and air-defense missiles as well as fixed phased-array radars.

As can be seen in the drawings, the improvements touched mostly three aspects:
- Adding a second Fregat 3D surveillance radar
- Replacing the Moskit AShM with the newer Oniks, then in development
- Replacing the AK-630 CIWS with the newer Kortik combined gun-missile module
Some of these improvements would find their way into the Project 956EM built for China

The two ships below represent two successive iterations of Project 956U proposals.
The first version replaces the Moskit launch bins directly with similar canted Oniks launchers, each containing 8 to 16 Oniks instead of 4 Moskits, while the second integrates a block of VL-Oniks in place of the aft AK130 gun turret, while the canted launchers have been replaced by a second pair of CIWS and presumably extra accommodation.
One major source (Yuri Apalkov in Udarniy Korably) associates these two planned variants of Project 956U with yard numbers 878 and 879 respectively. This is the assumption taken in naming the ships in the drawings. If confirmed, it means that the two ships sold to China under Project 956E were meant to be prototypes for a second series of ships to enter service in the 1990s. The financial difficulties facing Russia in the 1990s put an end to this development.

[ img ]
[ img ]

Note: Both drawings are for unbuilt ships and based on Apalkov's drawings and descriptions, and include standard systems, excepting both types of Oniks launchers, which do not match any existing types. The slanted launchers have been traced from the drawings, even though the number of tubes in unclear and the configuration implies fitting 4 Oniks missiles in the space of 1 Moskit tubes, which I have not been able to confirm as possible. Retrospectively, a more plausible candidate would be the SM-324 launcher as fitted on the Project 1234.7 Nakat trials ship. The vertical launcher, fit in a box based on the drawing available, are SM-315 triple-tube cylindrical launchers as developed for the Project 1244.1 frigate as well as various submarine types. A third proposed variant could have replaced this first-generation VLS with an array of UKSK 3S14 modules in the same position.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 10:03 am
Very nice additions and its nice to see the Pr.956U represented.
I wonder if the mention of 8 to 16 Oniks was a total representing both launchers, i.e. two Oniks replacing each Moskit?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 10:37 am
Jolly well drawn CL :!:

Well Done old chap :D

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet project 956 Sovremenniy destroyer (new version)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 2:36 pm
Hood wrote:
Very nice additions and its nice to see the Pr.956U represented.
I wonder if the mention of 8 to 16 Oniks was a total representing both launchers, i.e. two Oniks replacing each Moskit?
Thanks!
I don't know much about these Oniks launchers, much to my chagrin.
Both Sokolov and Apalkov mention the SM-403 launcher, to which Apalkov assigns 16 each of either Oniks or Kalibr. Turns out this is confirmed by the Severnoye PKB in their writeup about the project (third-to-last paragrah), but the wording is suspiciously similar.
The launcher reference isn't really helpful, as it isn't mentioned anywhere except in relation to this project, and sometimes to the Project 1234.7 (Nakat) aka Nanuchka-4, where it looks totally different (a basic frame launcher with individual tubes of the missiles.
If the SM-403 is the Nakat version indeed, and it takes both Oniks and Kalibr, then it starts looking very similar to Agat's 3S14PE, which incidentally doesn't scale up to 16 missiles per launcher. Also, launcher notwithstanding, 32 Oniks missiles weigh 99 tons, compared with less than 32 tons for 8 Moskits. Maybe not that bad for a >6000t warship, but it can't help with the navigability.
The things that throws me off most is Apalkov's drawing of the launcher as looking very much like a modification of the Moskit launcher, while the Pr.1234.7 is drawn with very realistic lattice-frame launchers in the same book, but to his credit, he calls it SM-324 there. Ah well... all this to say that the mock-Moskit from Apalkov would probably have evolved into something similar to what has been seen on the Nakat.

tl;dr 16 Oniks per launcher i.e. 4 times as many as Moskits, but the launcher as drawn has probably never existed.

In comparison, the second and third versions with vertical tubes carry 18 to 24 missiles in all, in 6 to 8 three-cell tubes or 3 8-cell UKSK blocks.
The rise in missiles per ship makes sense given 1) the slightly lighter warhead and halved KE => more missiles for the same effect, and 2) the steadily improving missile defense => bigger salvos to ensure as many missiles get through.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 54 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: