Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Karle94
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 18th, 2016, 1:18 pm
I guess it could have gone either way. The Zara class was considered one of the best cruisers. Having drawn the Algerie, which I guess is the basis for these drawings, i have to say, she is definetely one of the better looking of all the cruisers, treaty or no.

The thing about the vast torpedo arnament of Jap cruisers was also their achilles heel. Even .50 cal Mgs could detonate them, and blow half the ship away, similar to the damage sustained by the USS New Orleans and USS Minneapolis.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 19th, 2016, 9:09 am
@Krakatoa "The UK went the other way and removed armament to produce the York class to keep the ships within the treaty displacement."
All RN Treaty cruisers were built within the 10,000 ton limit, but none were built after 1930 as the RN had by then already built up to the new limit on their numbers set by the 1930 London Treaty.
York and Exeter were 8250 and 8390 tons, commissioned in 1930 and 1931 respectively.
They were not a smaller design with reduced armament to keep weights within treaty limits, but to save money so that more could be built.
RN building intentions, not fulfilled because of financial and (later) treaty limitations, were annually from 1927 onwards, one A type 10,000ton cruiser and two B type 8300ton cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
ecourtial
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 20th, 2016, 10:20 am
Hi everybody

Very nice drawings.

I have a little question: what are the sources regarding the yellow color of the safety boats (in the 1942 version)?

"...we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight [...] in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender". Winston Churchill, 1940

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 20th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Thanks all for the comprehensive responses to my query.

Oh, and to compensate for the way said question took over the thread; I think I've spotted a pixel error on the first two drawings; it's on the crane for the forward boarding stairway. There doesn't seem to be anything "dividing" the crane from the overhanging B-deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5

Jump to: