Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1722 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 10:30 am
Wonderful drawings Maomatic

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 10:33 am
Very additions and updates. This is excellent work.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 3:59 pm
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing Deutschland / Lutzow!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 4:05 pm
Hello Maomatic

Very good, wish I had the patience for such detailing!

BtW: The box of my 1970's vintage Airfix Graf Spee (1/600 scale and much less detailed than your drawing...) showed the superstructure camouflage in some kind of green. Any idea where they got that notion??

(I admit, I keep annoying people with colours... :lol:)

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 4:10 pm
You're doing a truly fantastic job in this thread! Great additions! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 6:39 pm
Very beautiful drawings, well done!

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 12th, 2015, 7:36 am
GD, I remember in a book I had as a child that Graf Spee was depicted with green camouflage.
I suspect it might have been an error that cropped up sometime in the 1970s or 80s.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
wb21
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 12th, 2015, 9:56 am
Outstanding work! [ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 12th, 2015, 7:22 pm
Awesome drawings Maomatic!

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 12th, 2015, 9:13 pm
Hello everyone,

thanks for the comments!

@Garlicdesign:
I can't say I'm an expert on Kriegsmarine camouflage, but I tend to be a little cautious when it comes to trust some of the older model kits and books.
I've got quite a few books from the 70's in my library and some of them contain errors and repeat myths that have been corrected in the past few years.

John Asmussen states in "German Naval Camouflage Vol. I" (highly recommended - as is Vol. II!) that the ship left port with cans of peacetime colours in her paint lockers. The brownish looking grey tone is supposed to be a mixture of the different light and dark greys and perhaps black.
I tried my best to replicate the colours shown in the book, but I have to admit that I could have done better. The hull grey f.e. is a bit off, but I decided to "roll with it" since I have used it on all of my other drawings...

Anyway, here are some more redone drawings of the second ship of the Deutschland-class - "Admiral Scheer":

- "Admiral Scheer" as she looked like during gunnery exercises in the Atlantic.
[ img ]

- "Admiral Scheer" during her seventh and final neutrality patrol during the Spanish Civil war. Note the German national colours on her turrets and He 60 floatplane. These were added to mark the ship as a neutral.
[ img ]

- "Admiral Scheer" after her major refit in 1940:
* The stem was completely remodeled and the ships' length was increased by 1.9 m.
* The heavy forward superstructure was replaced by a much lighter tubular mast.
* The funnel platform was enlarged and a new funnel cap was fitted.
* A new mainmast was fitted behind the funnel.
"Admiral Scheer" left the shipyard on 31. July to run trials in the Baltic Sea.
[ img ]

- "Admiral Scheer" during her commerce-raiding cruise in the North Atlantic, South Atlantic and Indian Ocean, which lasted from October 1940 to April 1941.She sank 17 merchant vessels of 113.233 brt and the armed merchant cruiser "HMS Jervis Bay".
[ img ]

- "Admiral Scheer" as she looked like in April 1940 in Norwegian waters. Of note are the yellow coloured radar huts.
[ img ]

- In August 1942 "Admiral Scheer" made another sortie codenamed "Operation Wunderland" (wonderland). Its intended aim was to disrupt Soviet shipping in the Kara Sea.
On 25th August, "Admiral Scheer" spotted and sank the Soviet icebreaker "Alexander Sibiryakov". The vessel put up a fight and used her radio to warn other ships in the vicinity, thus compromising the mission of the cruiser.
As a result no other ships could be found and "Admiral Scheer" used her heavy artillery to bombard Soviet installations on Dikson Island instead.
On 30 August, "Admiral Scheer" returned to Narvik.
Of interest might be the fake Soviet markings on her Arado 196 floatplane.
[ img ]

- "Admiral Scheer" stationed in the Baltic late 1943 / early 1944.
[ img ]

- This last drawing of "Admiral Scheer" in 1945 is still kind of WIP. I haven't been able to find out what particular radar set she was carrying during this period. As far as I know a FuMO 26 with a 4x2m mattress antenna was installed, but I can't figure out how it looked like. So I cheated a little and have drawn the rangefinders rotated to the front /rear...
Another problem is the exact layout of her final AA-outfit. According to Koop & Schmolke's excellent "Pocket Battleships of the Deutschland class" she was armed with six 4 cm Bofors, eight 3,7 cm and thirty-three 2cm AA guns. I have no idea how the guns were distributed and I kind of doubt the presence of the 3.7cm's.
[ img ]

Thanks for looking!
- maomatic -

Last edited by maomatic on October 12th, 2015, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1722 »

Jump to: