Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Swift 141, a former RNetNavy frigatePosted: January 24th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Pakistan wants to have the 10 Greek ones!!

[Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Swift 141, a former RNetNavy frigatePosted: January 25th, 2011, 1:33 am
rd77 wrote:
Excellent drawing! Not much left of the old frigate unfortunately. Also, I'm very surprised that a yacht of this size would not have a helipad...
While I do think that it is sad that two of those fine S-frigates are being buggered up like this, they were almost 30 years old, so running towards the end of their careers as warships. Luckily, the Greeks still have 10(?) S-frigates in service and they still look good! (and there's the 2 L-frigates in Chile of course).
I'm not nearly as sentimental as you are, but I still have a lot of problems with converting a frigate into a luxury yacht for the following reasons:

1.) They're old. They're 30 years old! There's a reason why they were retired from military service. It's my understanding that they actually served in the UAE navy, but only for a very short while before they were retired. A military warship has a very hard service life, and that's even without firing a shot in anger (which is my understanding is the case here). There are repeated stresses on the hull, the "hungry horsing" we've talked about in other threads, etc. Their machinery has likely been overhauled, but still. They're old, and it's very used steel we're talking here.

2.) You have to rip out a lot of stuff (a lot of subdivided compartment, etc.) in order to really be able to accomodate any real luxury accomodations. That's expensive and time-consuming and brings into question any money and time-saving advantages.

3.) Narrow hulls. Great hull speed, not so great luxury accomodations.

So yeah, it's kinda weird. It'd be like taking a police cruiser and trying to convert it into a stretch limo (and yes, I know most police cruisers and most stretch limos share the Ford "Panther" frame but that's different).

Then again, I know this isn't without precedent - the most famous yacht in the world, the Christina O, is a conversion of a WWII River-class frigate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: Swift 141, a former RNetNavy frigatePosted: February 14th, 2011, 8:13 pm
OMG! Great Pic! Any chance of finding a deck schematic?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Swift 141, a former RNetNavy frigatePosted: February 17th, 2011, 1:30 pm
All our S-type are in service and still going strong! 6 of them modernised recently,so they will be alive for 10-15 years.(Real Greece)

Worklist:
Hellenian Kingdom (of course with S-type frigates,as I am a fan of them)
My AU world

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Swift 141, a former RNetNavy frigatePosted: February 17th, 2011, 5:21 pm
What about the other four? I heard the Greek only want to keep 6 in service and replace the others with FREMM.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Swift 141, a former RNetNavy frigatePosted: February 19th, 2011, 11:14 am
Yes,I have heard that of course,but today they are all in service.I wish for more FREMMs,not only 4.Now,for my AU Hellenian Kingdom I have built my own future frigate, the ALS-130 (Als in ancient Greek means "sea").

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: