Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 7:37 am
I adjoin the compliments. the colors specially are stricking here, the whiter shades of grey can always be tricky and the true red color in underwater makes this stand out from many of the recent SB's prime.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 7:39 am
Absolutely stunning work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 7:40 am
Legendary!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 8:14 am
An impressive piece of art.

Having looked at this closely though, several of the black deck outlines aft and on the superstructure are pixelated greys rather than black. This is easily fixed though and this a very fine drawing.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 11:29 am
Weisman, it's very nice; the lines are congruent with the established line drawings of the class. However (and this is an error I see quite often), your Asama is not depicted as of 1899, but rather as of during the Russo-Japanese War 1904-05. As completed, the IJN Asama sported a black-and-white livery: hull black with dark red boot topping, the same as the bottom hull shade, white superstructure and black funnels with the appropriate number of white funnel bands. In 1902/03 the IJN ships were, for the most part repainted in a dark shade of grey, not the Royal navy grey you've used, and it was in such a 'camouflage' that the Asama went to war.

So, my preferred suggestion is to repaint the ship appropriately, and keep the date, then, again re-shade the grey into a darker nuance, erect the whip W/T aerial on her main mast and send her off to war as of 1904!

[Profile] [Quote]
superboy
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 1:24 pm
WOW, Excellent drawing Weisman :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Weisman
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 2:00 pm
Thank everyone for comments. There will be a second version of the color of the ship from 1902 (very soon). ;)

Weisman Worklist
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 504#p72223

[Profile] [Quote]
Weisman
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 20th, 2014, 4:02 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Weisman, it's very nice; the lines are congruent with the established line drawings of the class. However (and this is an error I see quite often), your Asama is not depicted as of 1899, but rather as of during the Russo-Japanese War 1904-05. As completed, the IJN Asama sported a black-and-white livery: hull black with dark red boot topping, the same as the bottom hull shade, white superstructure and black funnels with the appropriate number of white funnel bands. In 1902/03 the IJN ships were, for the most part repainted in a dark shade of grey, not the Royal navy grey you've used, and it was in such a 'camouflage' that the Asama went to war.

So, my preferred suggestion is to repaint the ship appropriately, and keep the date, then, again re-shade the grey into a darker nuance, erect the whip W/T aerial on her main mast and send her off to war as of 1904!
Hi, bezobrazov! To trust this color scheme I tried to explore things in advance. And because my sources are mostly in Russian, so briefly.
There is written:
At the beginning of his service, all Japanese armored cruisers were painted in light gray (almost white) color - standard for the Japanese fleet in the period 1899 - 1901. September 1901 repainting them black and light gray. On the eve of war again repaint them in a dark gray color. In all likelihood, that situation took place in January 1904. It is true that the statements that meet the new standard of painting began to be applied before the end of 1902 - beginning of 1903, but above all in the case just about experiments. So, I'm not going to change the color scheme.

with respect: Weisman

[ img ]
[ img ]

Last edited by Weisman on September 21st, 2014, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 21st, 2014, 11:12 am
Very nice I must say!

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Japan - Armored Cruiser "Asama"Posted: September 21st, 2014, 4:57 pm
Well, you've got me one up there, weisman, being a Bulgarian (?) you'd know how to read Russian, and I agree that, since, at least 1990/91, Russian sources are usually quite creditable, since, for very obvious reasons, the Russo-Japanese War is still a very pivotal subject to learn about, and, at the same time carrying with it so much fascination as to the factual events.

Thank you for providing your primary sources, and I cannot but yield to your superior knowledge, which actually gladdens me!

So, congrats to a well-executed and equally well-researched drawing!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: